This week in Year 4 by Gabriel

Year 4

Topic is my favourite lesson because when I was in year 3 on Topic I had to draw a robin bird and my favourite part is colouring it in.  I am  now in year 4 and our Topic is cakes  – Angel cakes,  Chocolate cakes and all the others.

Our Maths is awesome .  Fast Maths is also awesome because in year 4 you learn lots more Maths.  I bet we are going to work in 10,000’s because in year 3 we only learnt up to 1000.  

by Gabriel

Welcome to Year 4

We have been very busy experiencing what it would be like in a school during the Victorian era.  We  were taught in a class of 60 and had to learn poetry off by heart do PE drills and recite it and learn number facts. In the afternoon the girls learnt to sew on a button whilst the boys did more academic stuff.  It was all very serious and gave them a flavour of how strict school was back then.

Art Week by Charlie

ART WEEK

Today we drew some pictures of some sculptures.  We were told to draw the whole picture or chose just a part of it. I drew a man that was falling into a glass and I also sketched a coconut. We sketched with a B6, B3 and a normal HB pencil. I noticed that the B3 and B6 pencils were darker and more crumbly than the HB pencil.

IMG_2139 2 IMG_2001

We are also going to make a tile mosaic so we practised our tile design. I did the London underground sign but swapped the words ‘Elm Park’ for “Aspen Class”. Here is a photo of my tile sketch

By Charlie

Aspen

Art Week

IMG_2142IMG_2139

Year 3 have been enjoying working on our drawing skills during art week. So far we have learned about how to make our drawings look more realistic using perspective for landscapes and light and shade for still life. We have been practising using a sketchbook to build our ideas before creating a final piece. The children have shown such enthusiasm and worked incredibly hard; we can’t wait to show you what we have been working on at the exhibition on Friday!

Havering Cricket Festival

The year 3 and 4 cricket team attended a Havering cricket festival, on Wednesday, at Rainham Cricket Club. The team, consisting of Carter S, Nathan B, Alfie, Destiny, Ire, Harish L, Aidon, Jayden S, enjoyed 5 wins and only 1 loss to secure 3rd place over all!

Well played boys!

Miss Brown

This week in Year 3….by Raul and Charlie

Making Potions

In our Literacy lesson on Tuesday  we were writing about how to make a snoring elixir for Hiccup ‘s dad. Hiccups dad wanted to go to Isle of Skullions as there is treasure there but Hiccup didn’t want his dad to go to because he heard that if you go there you don’t return. In our potion we put pigeon eyeballs, fairy dust, dead worms and sloth blood.

Hiccup made the potion in the lucky seven ship and we were describing what the potion looked like. Here is what I wrote…

Hiccup crept down into the cabin. The whole cabin smelt so bad. It was all because of the potion. He could see the bubbles floating in the air. The potion was as green as a dragons skin. “This potion is perfect”.

By Raul

Aspen

Empty class day  

Last week in literacy we acted outside and we pretended to be the three main characters from how to train your dragon as a pirate. I was the leader of the tribe, Godber the Belch. We didn’t have to follow the story, we could make up our own story using the characters. It was great fun. I liked acting with Kakon who was Hiccup and Samuel who was Toothless.

Samuel was really funny as toothless

We also did some sculptures outside during our art lesson. Luca and I sculpted a circle with flowers on it.

By Charlie

Aspen

Today in Literacy by Mason & Raul

How to train your Dragon – How to be a pirate.

imgres-1

Today in year 3 we created a potion for Hiccups dad. We were trying to stop Hiccup’s dad from going to the isle of Skullions.  If he did go there he may die as there is an eight foot dragon there. The dragon lives underground with a pile of skeleton bones. Dad wanted to go as there is a lot of treasure there.

In the potion, we put blood, worms, pigeon eyeballs, shark’s teeth & fish guts. This potion will send Hiccups dad back in time so that he forgets about the trip.

By Mason and Raul

Aspen

Holi

In Year 3 we have been learning about different religious festivals , so far this term we have learnt about Easter and Passover.

On Tuesday we studied the Hindu festival of Holi and sequenced pictures from the Holi Story. Then some of us even got an chance to act out the story and showed the rest of the class.

Mrs Taylor

Pirates!

imgres-2

This week we learnt about pirates. We researched  some facts and found out that Black Beard was a very famous pirate and the name of the skull and crossbones flag on the pirate ships was called The Jolly Roger. We also found out that Black Beard took his enemies to prison but research discovered that he never killed them.  Pirates stole weapons and jewellery from other ships. Vikings were the first pirates.

We have also been reading a book called ‘How to be a pirate ‘ which was written by Cressida Cowell who also wrote ‘How to train a Dragon’

By Joshua and Charlie

Aspen